Fall is here! Although we won't see snow on the Central Coast, fall brings cooler weather, fire danger and potential storms and power outages. Here are some tips to help you get ready:
1. Get your heating systems/generator serviced. Change your filter.
2. Paint, caulk and seal exterior surfaces.
3. Clear your gutters and remove debris from your home perimeter. Fire danger is our biggest reason here on the Central Coast. Be safe!
4. Have your chimney cleaned and check for spark arrestor.
5. Prepare a 5-day emergency kit and have a plan for a potential power outage or fire evacuation
6. Seal masonry and hard surfaces.
7. Change batteries for smoke alarms and smoke detectors or set a date to do so. If your systems are not hard-wired.
8. Schedule a date to shut down irrigation systems and drain exterior pipes/faucets. Hopefully we will get some rain this winter and won't need the extra water.
9. Check your trees for weak or dead limbs that could break easily with the weight of snow/ice/wind and remove them. Don't prune/shape trees until later in Winter.
10. Check your home for energy leaks that could reduce your heating bills.
11. Do you have an updated list of emergency numbers to call?
12. Do you have a power back-up generator? Lots of options available for both portable and hardwire
13. Cover or store outdoor furniture.
14. Test your sump pump.
15. Ensure that windows and doors are property sealed with weather stripping.